12C, LINUX, Oracle, Virtual Box

Oracle DB12c on OL7 with Virtual Box 5 installation issues

As usual, I’m goofing off in my home Data Center (riiiiight), and I decide to install Oracle Linux 7 and the 12c Database. While not concerning myself with what’s on the Compatibility Matrix, I go ahead and start up Virtual Box 5 (recently released) and install my O/S.  No problem there so, I’m thinking everything is fine. Time to install the database. At this point, I’m doing a basic install, so we are just going the follow the installation steps … very generic. Then I get this:
“Error in invoking target ‘irman ioracle’ of makefile …” OMG, this is new, is it OL7? Did something get screwed up during the unzipping? After some quick google searches, I discovered that the libjavavm12.a file not being placed in the $ORACLE_HOME/lib directory.  
The quick solution is to just copy the file into the appropriate directory and then click Retry:  
cp /u01/app/oracle/product/ /u01/app/oracle/product/
I’ll let Bobby Curtis (@dbasolved) tell you how to fix that with some additional details here. Crisis averted!! Or so I thought.
Continuing along with the install, all I have left is to run root.sh.  Then BAM! The root.sh script fails!
perl_errorThe quick and dirty answer is OL7 ships with PERL v5.16, and Oracle DB12c wants version 5.14. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as linking PERL to the 5.14 version that get “installed” with the database. You actually need to recompile PERL. To make this easy, I found Laurent Leturgez post on a similar issue and copied the compile steps below:
export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/  (this is my $ORACLE_HOME. Yours may be different)
cd ~
rm -rf perl
mkdir perl
cd perl/
curl -O http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/perl-5.14.1.tar.gz
tar -xvzf perl-5.14.1.tar.gz
cd perl-5.14.1
mv perl/ perl.OLD
mkdir perl
cd /home/oracle/perl/perl-5.14.1
./Configure -des -Dprefix=$ORACLE_HOME/perl -Doptimize=-O3 -Dusethreads -Duseithreads -Duserelocatableinc && make clean && make && make install
cd $ORACLE_HOME/perl
rm -rf lib/ man/
cp -r ../perl.OLD/lib/ .
cp -r ../perl.OLD/man/ .

Now that we have successfully copied the appropriate files to the correct directory and recompiled the correct version of PERL, everything should work … Well almost, I have discovered that this will allow you to perform a single instance installation of DB12c. At this point I am still researching the issues behind the multi-tenant installation as the error above continues to present itself when choosing that option. For now, lay down the binaries first then use the dbca to create your single instance 12c database. Hopefully more to come with resolving the multi-tenant issues.
I welcome any comments as to solving and/or streamlining the processes below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.